10/16 Iyengar Yoga

     We took this Iyengar practice with Amita over Zoom for a little over an hour. This was my first time doing Iyengar yoga but I am familiar with BKS Iyengar and his teachings. I knew previously that he was very focused on alignment and anatomy. I also knew that he emphasized the scientific side of asanas and how it benefits the physical body.

    I really enjoyed this practice because of the emphasis on the idea that yoga is for everybody. I liked that Amita gave modifications for the poses. For instance, I've never done downward dog on a wall before and even though it felt different, it still felt good in my body. The practice was fast enough where I felt like my body was flowing nicely but it wasn't too fast to the point where I couldn't follow along. After the practice I felt energized and more open in my body than I did before the practice. 

    The practice space in this setting did promote community in some ways but it's slightly hard to promote community over a computer. I felt a sense of community when Amita gave reassuring comments to other students. It made me feel like she actually cared about our form and our commitment to the practice. Even though it is hard to feel a sense of community through the computer, I felt like Amita did a good job of including everybody by encouraging my fellow classmates.


Not Seeing – Yoga Tutor

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

9/18 Yoga Journal

9/25 Blog Post

10/2 Yoga Blog (Bikram Yoga)