9/25 Blog Post

     I've been doing my 200 hour yoga teacher certification online and I watched a lecture/ participated in a class on adaptive yoga. This zoom class was led by one of the program's leaders, Tara Cleven and the practice took about 45 minutes. I took this class over zoom with other classmates after receiving a lecture about adaptive poses in yoga. I really liked that she focused on the idea that yoga is for everybody and it should be accessible to whoever wants to participate. 

    Our lecture consisted of modifications for different yoga poses by using props like blocks and bolsters. We also talked about chair yoga, and how beneficial it can be for the elderly and for beginners. Then we proceeded to do our own practice of chair yoga. I've never done chair yoga because I always thought it was for beginners but I really enjoyed this class. It was mainly focused on viewing your body with compassion wherever its at in your practice and meeting your body halfway. The most interesting pose for me was doing Warrior II with the support of the chair. I actually felt it more intensely because my hips felt like they were opening a bit more with the support of a chair under me. Now almost every night, my mom (a total beginner) and I do chair yoga in order to release the tension from the day. We'll do simple movements like rolling our shoulders or stretching the sides of our necks. 

    I make my practice space a sacred space by choosing to do it in my bedroom. My bedroom is almost like my sanctuary and I feel most at peace in this room so that's why I choose to practice there. When I begin a practice, I make that space sacred by making sure I'm as comfortable as I can. For example, if I'm too cold, instead of just sucking it up I adjust the temperature in the room. I also always make sure I take a moment of silence before my practice just to clear my mind and feel more at peace in order to create a more sacred space. 


Use a Chair to Get More Out of Warrior II

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

9/18 Yoga Journal

10/2 Yoga Blog (Bikram Yoga)